Peak District Mines Historical Society
Promoting and preserving mining heritage
(Registered charity No. 504662)

Silence Mine, Great Hucklow, Derbyshire

An overview of Silence Mine

The Society's Conservation Group had been working at High Rake from 2000 to 2008, and during that time there had been increasing contact with the local community. As the High Rake project came towards its finish, we, the Conservation Group, were approached by the Great Hucklow, Grindlow and Foolow residents regarding the mining remains at Silence Mine.

A brief history of Silence Mine

Silence Mine and other nearby mines were originally commenced about 1685 when it was first realized that Hucklow Edge Vein (the same vein worked at High Rake Mine) continued below the shale outcrop east of Great Hucklow village. The course of the vein was determined by a series of shale-gates driven northwardly under Eyam Edge from the lower ground of the limestone outcrop alongside the Foolow to Eyam road. Sometime in the latter part of the 19th century the mine was re-opened by the Milldam Mining Company. The company equipped the mine with a steam engine, probably used both for pumping and winding. Details of the engine are missing and we only had a sketch plan from the Derbyshire Records Office to provide us with an idea of the layout of the site. As part of the Silence Heritage Site project the Society agreed to carry out an archaeological excavation of the site and to conserve what remains of the buildings.

This took place between 2008 and 2010 where the Conservation Team was led by John Barnatt. A Report on the work carried out was published as 'Silence Mine, Grindlow, Derbyshire: Investigating an 1870's Steam Engine House' in Mining History Vol. 18 No. 4.

Links and further information regarding Silence Mine.

The late Nellie Kirkham left some useful field notes recording the site as she visited it.

Here is a link to an article by Nellie Kirkham in Derbyshire Miscellany Volume 2 Part 12 pp445-455 (October 1964) - Silence Mine by Nellie Kirkham.

Here is a link to a newspaper article from September 1878 concerning Silence Mine.

The Peak District National Park Authority's website records the story of the acquisition of the Silence Mine site.


Revealing the 'coal store' at
Silence Mine in July 2008
Photo - Dave Williams


Some of the Silence Mine team
taking a break from their
archaeological excavations 
Photo - Dave Williams